Old 19-01-2004, 03:32 PM
D Kat

Default OT 'BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!'

Where in Nevada? Las Vegas has a great deal of money and the rest of the
state is very rural where class sizes are still small. Most of the U.S. has
serious problems right now with class size. My son a couple of years ago
had his home room in a closet. Literally - no joke. Most classes now have
30-40 students in them. What we are expecting out of our teachers is
criminal. It doesn't help at all that the W education bill on manditory
testing requires schools to spend $500/student when they are only given
~$90/student. This has meant our already very high property taxes have to
be raise and many of the things our students previously had have been cut.
It is well known that a 2nd language must be taught before the age of 12,
that music taught at an early age helps develop the brain to enable it to do
higher math later on, that the best thing you can do for a childs education
is to keep classes below 12 children/teacher. These are the first things to
go now. It is such a crying shame. I have never seen such irresponsible
spending by any Federal administration in my lifetime and I'm 55.

D Kat
"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:21:34 -0600, "B & J"
bjskeff@removecox-internetcom wrote:

Thanks for the invitation, but no thanks. I subbed in the school where I
taught for a few years after I retired, but after we moved to our new
location that ended. After thirty-five years in the classroom, I found

the
last ten years far less pleasurable than the first twenty-five. This

latter
period was when students gained court ordered rights, which meant keeping
students in my class no matter how disruptive they were, and cutbacks in
school funding increased class sizes (35-40).

Where did you teach? And what level? A friend in Nevada teaches 3rd
grade and says her normal class size is 20-22; this year, due to
transfers, she's down to 16. I swear I remember 28-32 from my (long
ago) public school education.