Old 19-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Max

Default Composting Office Paper

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message .. .
(Max) wrote:

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote:
Be careful about what you read. Composting will never remove heavy
metals which are present in the color sections of newspapers and most

Could you tell me how you know there are currently heavy metals in
colored sections of newspapers?

I don't know which papers they are in. I do know that the color inks
with heavy metal pigments are still being made and sold. Nontoxic color
inks are also being made and sold, but they have serious problems with
fading. I don't know the relative quantities at this point in time.
Unless you contact the printer of your local newspaper, you can't be
sure which ink you are getting. Most use some of each.

Alright Stephen, enough prevaricating.

In this post,
http://tinyurl.com/2ek9b, a guy who works in the
composting biz professionally, with cities and counties, says
you're wrong.

I said, "Stephen, hey this guy seems to know his stuff and he
says different, colored paper is OK to compost. How do you know
it isn't?" Your reply above seems only to say, "because I know."

One more time, HOW do you know?