Old 19-01-2004, 06:42 PM
John Catron

Default bulb questions

"D Kat" wrote in message
t...
Eegads.. I just remembered I left my unplanted bulbs in the shed. They

are
going to be frozen solid with no soil or moisture to protect them.... Do I
bring them indoors just long enough to pot them up or what? Anyone ever
recover these kinds of forgotten bulbs?
DKat

don't panic, go out to the shed and retrieve those bulbs and gently mash
them a little. If they're soft, but still kinda firm, plant them anyway in
pots of soil and put them outside to finish up the winter. If they're moldy,
toss them. You could bring one in the house to thaw and cut it in half to
see if there is a green center. If there is, you've pushed the envelope and
can plant them in soil now for a late bloom. I've done this several times.
Some survive, others didn't. It's just something we have to deal with.
Better to plant them in pots of soil and see if they emerge than in the
ground unless your's isn't frozen. Which I suspect it is. Yes, bring them
indoors and pot them up. Let me know how they do or don't come spring.
madgardener who has lost lots of bulbs over the last 20 years..........g