Old 19-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Roller Drums for tissue culture; a question of rotation speed

Al wrote:

It seems to me that the spin would not need to be faster than a constant 2
or 3 rotations per minute which sounds about right if the goal is to keep
the tissue in the liquid media from orienting itself to gravity and light
direction. A rotation of 6 times a minute sounds fast to me and a top speed
of 56 rpm must be wrong for this purpose, but I don't know. Does anyone
reading this have any experience that could help me choose correctly?

Never used one for this purpose... If 'any experience' counts
seeing them in action, in the murky haze of aged memory, then I think
that 56 is right out. I seem to recall the drums moving at 2 or 3 rpm.
Hopefully somebody has better information than the fluff in my skull.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit