Old 19-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Harry Muscle

Default Is There an Electrician in the House?

"Dunter Powries" wrote in message
I'm great at this hobby until something doesn't work. Then I'm all

swearing
and throwing stuff and the kids have to go stay with my mother for a

couple
days. OK, that's not true (well, some of it's not).

I have a compact fluorescent light hood with four 55-watt bulbs on a

timer.
For about a month now, when the lamp is turned on, nothing happens right
away. After a few minutes, the ends of the tubes begin to glow very, very
faintly orange. Until a few days ago, after about fifteen or twenty

minutes
the tubes would suddenly light up or if I flicked the switch once or twice
the tubes would light up. Now, after twenty minutes the bulbs still

haven't
lit up, so I flick the switch on and off a few times and they'll light.

The fixture is a few months old. Right after I fired it up the first time

noticed that one of the tubes was discoloured. Does anyone have any

ideas?
I bought it online so, although I COULD return it, I'm strongly inclined

fix it myself.

Try asking in sci.engr.lighting. They might be able to help more.

Harry