Old 19-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Kay Easton

Default Mesembryanthemum selfseeding

In article , Victoria
Clare writes
Kay Easton wrote in
:

It's the annual 'livingstone daisy' ( I thought the others were
perennials: am I wrong?)

They're all perennial, aren't they, given a warm enough winter?

I don't think so. At any rate, mine flowered, went to seed, and died while
it was still warm.

A quick search turns up
http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modzz/00000543.html which says annual.

OK

Just surprised that a plant goes to all that trouble of producing fleshy
leaves if it's an annual, or, conversely, that it lives in the sort of
conditions where it has to produce fleshy leaves if it is an annual. Not
logical, I suppose - something has to fill the niche of 'make lots of
seeds in the hope that one of them may find a bit of clear ground where
it can shoot up and make lots of seeds all in one season'.

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

--