Old 19-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Bog gardens

"FrankS" wrote in
:

I'm thinking of creating a bog garden this year but haven't been able
to find much info on how to do it. Basically, I'm thinking of digging
a shallow depression about 10 ft in diameter and 10 to 12 inches deep
and refilling with about 6 inches of topsoil. I have a natural slope
to my yard so keeping it wet shouldn't be a major problem for me. I
would like to create as much a natural environment as possible with
cattail, bulrushes, horsetails and any other bog type plant I can
find. I have about 4 to 6 inches of topsoil over a thick bed of
clay. I live in the extreme north of zone 4 so winters are long and
brutal while the summers can be hot as hell. I want this to be a low
maintenance area and I'm not interested in attracting any wildlife
although, if it works, I imagine frogs and garter snakes may show up.

Does anyone have any experience or info to share with me?

thanks frank

If you don't get any wildlife you might as well make a little wooden sign
saying "MOTEL - mosquitoes stay free"