Old 19-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Mesembryanthemum selfseeding

"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.222...
Kay Easton wrote in
:

It's the annual 'livingstone daisy' ( I thought the others were
perennials: am I wrong?)

They're all perennial, aren't they, given a warm enough winter?

I don't think so. At any rate, mine flowered, went to seed, and died

while
it was still warm.

A quick search turns up
http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modzz/00000543.html which says
annual.

According to the RHS Encyclopedia, all the Mesembryanthemums are now
shifted into a genus "Dorotheanthus", and they are all annuals.

That's not what the RHS Encyclopaedia says - assuming you mean the old
A-Z, which I also have.

It says the varieties *that are are now Dorotheanthus* are annuals.

A Google suggests that it is wrong about that: Dorotheanthus 'Gold
Bush' appears to be listed as a perennial.

There are loads of other ex-Mesembryanthemums that are not annual, and
a lot of them look similar to me, I'm afraid.

Chris Hogg's example of Carpobrotus edulis is a (fairly tender)
perennial.