Old 20-01-2004, 01:32 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Spring has Sprung!!

Salty Thumb wrote:
=

Well most of what you said sounds reasonable, but I guess my point abou=

water is probably more or less your point without the geologic scale.
I'm guessing the ridiculously high specific heat of water will moderate=

the temperature extremes of any local climate a lot better and therefo=

re
someone (like me) who lives in a coastal region is more likely (but not=

like me) to say "global warming? what global warming" even though the
weather is nutty, but because of the moderating effect of the ocean, no=

as nutty as it could be.
=

The only things I would disagree with are, it's not just the pumping up=

of CO2 and other chems, that are screwing things up, it's also the
deforestation. I imagine forests not only act as a significant heat si=

nk
on land but also have the added benefit of locking away any excess CO2
and maybe even some chemicals.

They do, sprocket master. Carbon sequestration into soil and bio-mass
can reduce it from the atmoshere and alleviate warming in addition to
other factors. Why can't we convince the profiteers that?

=

The other thing is why the west coast is warmer. Maybe the ocean
currents have something to do with it (and the larger surface area of t=

he
Pacific), but having the Rocky Mountains to block warm ocean air from
moving east has got to have some effect, too.

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal