Old 20-01-2004, 01:43 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Bog gardens

Charles wrote:
=

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:11:44 -0600, "FrankS"
wrote:
=

I'm thinking of creating a bog garden this year but haven't been able =

find much info on how to do it. Basically, I'm thinking of digging a
shallow depression about 10 ft in diameter and 10 to 12 inches deep an=

refilling with about 6 inches of topsoil. I have a natural slope to m=

y yard
so keeping it wet shouldn't be a major problem for me. I would like t=

create as much a natural environment as possible with cattail, bulrush=

es,
horsetails and any other bog type plant I can find. I have about 4 to=

6
inches of topsoil over a thick bed of clay. I live in the extreme no=

rth of
zone 4 so winters are long and brutal while the summers can be hot as =

hell.
I want this to be a low maintenance area and I'm not interested in
attracting any wildlife although, if it works, I imagine frogs and gar=

ter
snakes may show up.

Does anyone have any experience or info to share with me?

thanks frank

=

I would be wary of the cattails and horsetail, both can be very
invasive. If I were doing it I would include iris, but not
pseudoacorous, it gets out of hand as well.

Amen on all points.

=

If you fill it enough to have standing water all the time I would add
some mosquito fish, Gambusia affinis.

I know some pond folks who have tried native minnows in ditches along
with a small number of aquarium fish. Green fan-tailed molly with
minnows makes an interesting breed. So does shads and shiners. The price
certainly is right. Did you know there is only one place in the U that
raises Gambusia? In the Midwest, somewhere.
=

--
=

- Charles