Old 20-01-2004, 01:43 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Bog gardens

I've built 2 and volunteered on a third. I have some .pdf's I can send
you and a 6 page "how to" via fax.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/bogs.html
http://www.plantideas.com/bog/index.html
http://www.pitcherplant.com/bog_making.html
http://www.nelsonwatergardens.com/iwant.html#28 - my local source among
many others like Harris County Flood Control

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com - got pics on the one I built in my
yard here and at
http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden

FrankS wrote:
=

I'm thinking of creating a bog garden this year but haven't been able t=

find much info on how to do it. Basically, I'm thinking of digging a
shallow depression about 10 ft in diameter and 10 to 12 inches deep and=

refilling with about 6 inches of topsoil. I have a natural slope to my=

yard
so keeping it wet shouldn't be a major problem for me. I would like to=

create as much a natural environment as possible with cattail, bulrushe=

s,
horsetails and any other bog type plant I can find. I have about 4 to =

6
inches of topsoil over a thick bed of clay. I live in the extreme nor=

th of
zone 4 so winters are long and brutal while the summers can be hot as h=

ell.
I want this to be a low maintenance area and I'm not interested in
attracting any wildlife although, if it works, I imagine frogs and gart=

er
snakes may show up.
=

Does anyone have any experience or info to share with me?
=

thanks frank

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky