Old 20-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Peter H

Default North America After the Collapse

Alan Connor wrote:

The abuse and over-indulgence

an emotion-based judement which you do not support with data

in technology is a big part of what's CAUSING

This theme has been around for centuries.

Recycling is a perfect example of the folly of most technological 'solutions'.

Relatively few "technological solutions" involve recycling in any form.

It actually does more

immediate

harm to the environment than throwing things in a

landfill and making new stuff.

Over a lengthy term, the two are roughly equivalent. Your statement
assumes a steady supply of raw materials and a steady state of available
energy which in many cases is not the case. It also assumes a stable
supply of "away" to throw things into. One of the first lessons of the
first Earth Day in 1970 - were you with us then? - was that we could not
longer throw things "away," since in reality there is no such place.

Pete H

--
We are all of one nation, all of one creed
We are all out of nature, all of one seed