Old 20-01-2004, 02:42 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Privacy hudge suggestions for Houston, TX

Jim Lewis wrote:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Yes. We in the south are often teased by those northern
catalogs only to find that our summers are what does them in.
Even "natives" that grow naturally in your area, if purchased
from a northern nursery, will do more poorly in the south.

Yes, absolutely.
I always recommend to get a native that comes from within a 100 mile
radius or less of one's location. That way one gets the true one from
their area.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=

A while back I had to search the web for native nurseries for
a client and I seem to recall several from TX; there's bound to
be a nursery that specializes in native plants in or near your
area. That's where you will get plants that will do well.

Yes, I can send him a local retailer list. Thanks, Jim.

=

I might suggest Ilex vomitoria (NOT that non-flowering male
hybrid monstrosity sold by the Home Depots and Lowes "nurseries")
as a good hedge. It is native to TX, I think. I seem to recall
a bonsai grower from central TX who called it a "weed" there.

Yes, there are farmers and ranchers who refer to Yaupon Holly that way.
And in the wild, it can definitely get thick. Here in the city, there
are Yaupon species that can stay fairly controllable.
=

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 -