Old 20-01-2004, 03:02 AM
animaux

Default Bog gardens

I was thinking of doing the same thing this year, but my bog is reserved for
lotus. I have successfully germinated ten seeds of 'Baby Doll' and I have many
of them outside in the pond waiting to be divided up. I think they will do much
better directly in soil in a bog. There will be standing water in mine, so I
will make sure mosquito dunks will always be present.

I do have a pond now which has to be made larger. The one inch comets are now
about 12 inches long and beefy! I am going to build them a larger pond than
they have now. Around that pond I will plant nothing but horsetail in the soil,
but that's only because it will be raised and in no way in touch with any other
part of my gardens. I also have miniature cat tails and star grass, which
smells divine. Sagittaria is also beautiful.

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:11:44 -0600, "FrankS" opined:

I'm thinking of creating a bog garden this year but haven't been able to
find much info on how to do it. Basically, I'm thinking of digging a
shallow depression about 10 ft in diameter and 10 to 12 inches deep and
refilling with about 6 inches of topsoil. I have a natural slope to my yard
so keeping it wet shouldn't be a major problem for me. I would like to
create as much a natural environment as possible with cattail, bulrushes,
horsetails and any other bog type plant I can find. I have about 4 to 6
inches of topsoil over a thick bed of clay. I live in the extreme north of
zone 4 so winters are long and brutal while the summers can be hot as hell.
I want this to be a low maintenance area and I'm not interested in
attracting any wildlife although, if it works, I imagine frogs and garter
snakes may show up.

Does anyone have any experience or info to share with me?

thanks frank