Old 20-01-2004, 03:13 AM
animaux

Default Privacy hudge suggestions for Houston, TX

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:56:42 -0500, "Jim Lewis" opined:

A while back I had to search the web for native nurseries for
a client and I seem to recall several from TX; there's bound to
be a nursery that specializes in native plants in or near your
area. That's where you will get plants that will do well.

I might suggest Ilex vomitoria (NOT that non-flowering male
hybrid monstrosity sold by the Home Depots and Lowes "nurseries")
as a good hedge. It is native to TX, I think. I seem to recall
a bonsai grower from central TX who called it a "weed" there.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

If you want a wonderful hedge, yaupon holly is hard to beat. I have many, many
dwarf yaupon holly bushes around our home. The birds love the berries and you
cannot beat the form of the dwarf.

I wouldn't call them weeds, but they are certainly found everywhere in the brush
in Texas. A most delightful plant.

All states in the U.S. have a Native Plant Society chapter.

Victoria