Old 20-01-2004, 03:26 AM
Dan Drake

Default What Can I Legally Say?

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:39:34 UTC, Chuck Gadd wrote:

On 14 Jan 2004 16:42:59 GMT, (Nsty N8) wrote:

What can I say or write without getting myself sued.

You can't say ANYTHING. In fact, you don't even need to say
anything, someone can still sue you. I could file a lawsuit against
you right now. And if I acted as my own attorney, it wouldn't cost me
very much (just the filing fees).

Anyone can sue ANYONE at ANY TIME for ANY REASON. Eventually, the
very slow wheels of justice will straighten things out, but until
then, it's a painful process.

Very true.

OTOH everyone seems to have forgotten the subject line: "What Can I
Legally Say?" Answer: You can _legally_ say anything that's true. Truth is
a complete defense against libel, under the law. (Honest mistakes can also
be legal, but I don't suppose anyone is planning to make any.) What you
can _practically_ say without serious fear of frivolous lawsuits is
another matter.

--
Dan Drake

http://www.dandrake.com

Human rights in Cuba: 600 prisoners held 18 months and more,
without charge, without bail, without counsel, facing trial by
secret special tribunals with power to impose the death
penalty. And that's just one place. Guantanamo.