Old 20-01-2004, 04:05 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Privacy hudge suggestions for Houston, TX

animaux wrote:
=

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:56:42 -0500, "Jim Lewis" =

opined:
=

I might suggest Ilex vomitoria (NOT that non-flowering male
hybrid monstrosity sold by the Home Depots and Lowes "nurseries")
as a good hedge. It is native to TX, I think. I seem to recall
a bonsai grower from central TX who called it a "weed" there.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

=

If you want a wonderful hedge, yaupon holly is hard to beat. I have ma=

ny, many
dwarf yaupon holly bushes around our home. The birds love the berries =

and you
cannot beat the form of the dwarf.
=

I wouldn't call them weeds, but they are certainly found everywhere in =

the brush
in Texas. A most delightful plant.
=

All states in the U.S. have a Native Plant Society chapter.

That's right. Here's the link:
http://www.prairienet.org/gpf/natives.html

Victoria, I think Jim Lewis might work in landscape. Not sure, but some
of his comments seem that way.
=

Victoria

-- =