Old 20-01-2004, 04:09 AM
Bassett

Default What Can I Legally Say?

the question about libel, has been discussed on other news groups
in great depth, and I personal know on one person who looked into the
question of suing someone,, After he learned just how complex the issue is
, he just went away and made a doll, which he know sticks pins into.

Unless you have a large amount of money, and plenty of time forget all
about it.. If Jo Blow tells everyone on the internet via a news group, that
you have a square head, to sue the person for libel, you will need to serve
EVERY ISP news server, that carried the supposed libel, at exactly the same
time, with court appearance papers, WORLD WIDE.
Simple because if one ISP carried the libel, He alone cannot be considered
guilty on his own, regardless of where and which ISP excepted the original
post // message.

About the only thing you can do, also with a small degree of success,
is attempt to report the offender to his home ISP, If you can find it,
locate it, and positively identify the offender by his e-mail address, which
in a lot of cases is near impossable, If the offender goes between
different servers, free or otherwise, to get his message across...

bassett

"Eric Schreiber" wrote in message
"NetMax" wrote:

Whew! considering the source of the remark, and the calibre of the people
in this newsgroup, that's quite a compliment, thanks!

Bah! The source is just some mope who likes playing on Usenet almost
as much as he likes fish. I try to help out when I know an answer but
with only about 14 months (this time) in the hobby I'm still a newbie.

But anyway, you're welcome. You deserve the compliment.

I hate being anonymous, but I hate spam more (and me with a slow dial-up
too).

I get in the neighborhood of 250 spams per day (no, that's not an
accidental zero on the end of that number) so I sympathize. I've got
DSL and some really good filtering software (www.spamal.org) so the
situation is tolerable, but via a dial-up I wouldn't be able to stand
it.

--
www.ericschreiber.com