Old 20-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Ka30P

Default Bog garden

Hi Frank,

I have a bog. The frog bog.
One thing about my bog is that it grew like crazy!
Filled all the way in five years. I had my teenagers weed it this fall.

I built mine so it would have standing water so I could have aquatic insects
(except mosquitoes - use dunks for those) and frog eggs. No snakes but never
see them with two labradors in the yard.

I threw all sorts of plants in there. Everything grew and thrived. The neatest
plant showed up on its own, probably through bird business, a bladderwort - so
much fun IDing it and learning about it.

My daughter and I drag thru small fish nets once and a while and then ID the
insect larvae we find. Lots of snails grow in there too.

Mine is about 10 by 10 and 10 inches deep. We fill it part way with larger
river rock (would have used gravel instead) With all the plant matter that
falls in and fertilizes it I've never had an algae bloom in the water, too many
plants I expect and no fish.
ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html