Old 20-01-2004, 06:12 AM

Default Pond Temperatures

I have a friend that lives in Calgary.. Her pond does well and it is not
very deep.. So yes, there can be success in keeping ponds in the Great White
North ( and on the praries to boot ). I have a friend in Moose Jaw that also
has pond going, I have not talked to him in a while, but I suspect things
are going just fine ( I believe his is three to four ft deep ).. Read read
read and do more reading before you jump into the pond idea... That way your
enjoyment is larger than disappointment..

Tim..

"Steve" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm sure this question has been asked over and over but I haven't been

able
to find any real specific answers to it. I saw some posts where people

are
up in Canada and they have a pond in the backyard. I live in Calgary and
the temperatures here get pretty cold at times (-20C to -30C). If I were

build a pond about 3ft to 4ft deep, would goldfish be able to survive the
winters if I took the necessary precautions? I.e. Covering the pond with
something and keeping the pond from completely icing over?

Having a pond sounds like a great hobby but also lots of work! I'm just
curios about what success or failure stories in maintaing fish in the pond
in areas where the temperatures are frigid.

Thanks!