Old 20-01-2004, 07:02 AM
Pat Patterson

Default BONSAI AND POP CULTURE...was...The Spirit of Bonsai Design...

G'day all...

Billy said "...if Bonsai is going to be more popular especially among a
younger, more urban population it will need to change and reflect popular
culture such as 'The Lord of The Rings...'".

I think that "...need to change..." may be a bit strong...how about "expand to
include"?

But then, I guess expand implies change. Doesn't it?

I've heard/read more than recognized bonsai artist say "...listen to your
tree...". So, while studying a tree to plan the design, if the tree tells me
"...make me look like I came from 'The Lord of The Rings...'", that's what I
will attempt. Never would I impose a "Lord of The Rings" look on a tree.

Nor would I ever search out a tree with a "Lord of The Rings" look.

My thoughts...

Have a nice day...

Pat
Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle, AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all directions'