Old 20-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default Quick Q regarding rabbits

Ignoramus3274 wrote:

I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a
diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much
time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am
thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some
such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

I have a tenant who keeps rabbits on my farm. He feeds them almost all
the weeds he can find. They seem to prefer the broadleafed weeds over
the grasses.

As far as the "mandatory lawn trimming" is concerned, my lawn (~1 acre)
gets mowed 3-4 times a year whether it needs it or not. I would not be
able to feed many rabbits that way. By the time it gets mowed, the grass
is too long to leave on, so it goes onto the compost pile. That compost
gets returned to the lawn, since it is full of grass seeds.