Old 20-01-2004, 02:13 PM
J Kolenovsky

Default Bog gardens

A 10' bog is not that bad. Horsetail it taboo.

Harvey wrote:
=

I would recommend finding a good book on bog gardening. For some rea=

son,
straight topsoil doesn't seem too bog-like. You may wish to incorpor=

ate
some peat. Peat comes from bogs.

I would stay away from horsetail (equisetum) since it is very invasiv=

e and
may take over the entire area. A 10' diameter "bog" is not that much=

space.

It's not that bad.
=

In my & everyone else I knows experience horsetails are EXTREMELY INVAN=

SIVE
and almost impossible to erradicate once present. Weedkiller resistent =

&
tiny fragments will grow.
Use of peat is very dubious on environmental grounds; should you be
destroyinging a natural bog to create an artificial one?
You can very successfully use composted bark for example.
=

The are good books on bog gardening. Try Amazon, bibliofind or abebooks=

=2E
=

Harvey

-- =