Old 20-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Chris Hogg

Default Windbreak/Hedge

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:40 +0000 (GMT), (Steve
Harris) wrote:

I have a wind funnel at the side of my house and I want to do something
about it. Currently I have a 6' wooden palisade fence across the wide
entrance to the funnel fronted by some young Leylandii.

I caught part of GQT today where they were talking about Jerusalem
Artichoke as a very quick and effective hedge that wouldn't get too
tall. Checking up, JA isn't suitable for my case because I want it still
to be there during winter.

But it got me thinking. Surely there is a fast-growing, self-limiting,
low-maintenance, good-looking, all-seasons, six-foot hedge plant out
there?

Eleagnus ebbingei is fairly fast growing and very wind tolerant. It
has tiny white flowers in autumn that are insignificant to look at but
have a lovely perfume. Not hardy everywhere, but should be OK in
Cheltenham I would think. The variegated varieties, such as Limelight,
are probably a bit slower growing.

--
Chris