Old 20-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

Default Spring has Sprung!!

The message
from J Kolenovsky contains these words:

Salty Thumb wrote:

Well most of what you said sounds reasonable, but I guess my point about
water is probably more or less your point without the geologic scale.
I'm guessing the ridiculously high specific heat of water will moderate
the temperature extremes of any local climate a lot better and therefore
someone (like me) who lives in a coastal region is more likely (but not
like me) to say "global warming? what global warming" even though the
weather is nutty, but because of the moderating effect of the ocean, not
as nutty as it could be.

Sorry to pour cold water on your hopes, but you've missed one of the
points that DKat made in her excellent explanation. She said " What
keeps the West coast so much warmer than the East coast is the pattern
of the ocean's currents."

As well as being vulnerable to atmospheric changes over the ocean
affecting wind-speed and rainfall, coastal climates (even on a large
continent) depend on the temperature and direction of adjacent ocean
currents.

Global warming is melting the polar icecaps fast, and a flood of cold
water with a different specific gravity, running into an ocean from one
direction, is thought likely to change the temperature and/or direction
of existing currents. Those changes would affect coastal regions first.

Janet. (Isle of Arran, west Scotland, at present warmed by Gulf Stream)