Old 20-01-2004, 09:17 PM
B.Server

Default 2 stroke engines

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:59:53 -0000, " R M. Watkin"
wrote:

Hi All,
4 star petrol is being taken off the market in the U.K. there is a subsitute
to add to the fuel to cover this problem. do you have this problem in the
U.S.A. if so have you solved it ?. I have all so heard that due the emisions
problem the U.S.A. is about to phase out 2 stroke engines. is this true ?.
and if it is so were does this leave people with 2 stroke engines in good
working order. Mantis tillers e.t.c, thank tou for your help, and I hope
this is not off topic.

Richard M. Watkin.

The only leaded gasoline sold in the US that I am aware of is a type
of aviation fuel called LL100 (LL=low lead). It is formulated for
older aircraft engines that were originally run on leaded gasoline.

There are fewer and fewer 2 stroke engines being sold; as you
suggested because of their emission problems. They are well on their
way to disappearing in boat motors, recreational vehicles motors, lawn
mowers and similar places where simplicity, light weight, and ease of
repair were virtues.

4 stroke engines are inherently more complex. It may be somewhat like
what has happened with automobile engines. We have traded a simple,
easily maintained design that required more maintenance for more
complex designs that are more reliable and just about impossible for
and ordinary human to repair.