Old 20-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Chris Boulby

Default Lakeland's plant ties???

n message , Klara King
writes
In message , Chris Boulby
writes
Whatever happened to recycling old pairs of tights? And what about
velcro? I find this very useful.

Used all the skin-coloured ones on the rhodies; wouldn't the rose
trellis festooned in black tights look a bit ... well ... ?
Most of what I need to tie up are climbers, and for that this tubing is
ideal, though admittedly not cheap - velcro sounds great for the bigger
things, but surely even more expensive?
Klara
(Surrey/Sussex border)

I got my garden velcro very cheaply at the local garden centre, can't
remember how much I paid, but it is more re-usable than anything I've
had before, and it is so much easier to deal with - and is totally
reliable, doesn't move at all, but if I peel it off and re-wind it
around the place I want to secure, it is solid. Wasn't convinced at
first, but now I swear by it for more permanent tying.

I first got it when my Hamamelis was snapped near the base during a
hurricane. It had cost more than I care to remember, and I was quite
devastated. I used the velcro and now carefully take off and
re-position when it needs it. The hamamelis is still (8 years on) only
little, about 3ft tall now, with a spreading habit, but it has never
looked back since I used the velcro to bring its trunk back together,
and I think they have now grafted together with the help of the velcro
fastening. It is in bloom right now, and looking lovely. So, I'm all
for the velcro approach.

As for tights, well, I guess I agree, black tights might look a bit
nasty on nice new trellis but they are also something I use regularly
when a bit of elasticity is called for. They go green with lichen etc
after a few years and you don't even notice them.
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias