Old 20-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] BONSAI AND POP CULTURE...was...The Spirit of Bonsai Design...

In a message dated 1/20/2004 10:12:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

So, while studying a tree to plan the design, if the tree tells me
"...make me look like I came from 'The Lord of The Rings...'", that's what I
will attempt. Never would I impose a "Lord of The Rings" look on a tree.

Since I haven't seen the movie, I couldn't design a "Lord of the Rings" tree
on purpose. Yes the tree must speak to you but:
1. you will only understand the message if it is in your own frame of
reference.
2. the tree design has to mean something to you and please you. If
you follow the "Lord of the Rings" story then such a tree might be very
meaningful.
3. I am trying to say that Bonsai, although a classical art, must
adapt or die. If we followed the Japanese tradition alone, we would grow any
tropical trees.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++