Old 21-01-2004, 02:17 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Q. ponytail palm lost it's top, bad shape

How should it be watered? With that wet stuff that comes out of the tap, of
course.

The real question this time of the year is: How often should it be watered?

Since Beaucarnea go dormant over the winter, they need only enough water to
keep the thickened caudex from shriveling up.

Water the plant thoroughly only once a month until new growth appears in the
spring. Never let them sit in standing water for any length of time.

Common names are meaningless. Beaucarnea recurvata is a caudiciform woody
monocotyledon from Mexico but is not at all closely related to Agave or
Yucca, other than being a flowering plant.

Subject: Q. ponytail palm lost it's top, bad shape
From: "Cereoid-UR12-"
It may produce a new leaf rosette in the spring but if the caudex is

getting
soft and mushy, you should throw it out.
____Reply Separator_____
Thanks for ANSWERING my question. I read my OP over and over and couldn't

see
where I had asked:
Is a ponytail/elephant foot palm really a palm?
How should it be watered.
I'm glad I didn't ask a question about planting cucumbers in a vegetable
garden.