Old 21-01-2004, 03:13 AM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Default [IBC] BONSAI AND POP CULTURE...was...The Spirit of Bonsai Design...

Good Night to All,
Sam,

Just sharing.
my first look at a Bonsai was on the T.V series Space 1999,
and then later through a conversation with a more enlightened
school friend when I was about maybe 16 years old or so.
The encyclopaedia,also had a picture of a pine bonsai.

When I started actually trying to grow a tree,I used clay lumps
from the backyard,then got a copy of Peter Adams's small
early Bonsai book and the in/famous[chuckle]Kamuti.
Alongside I bought books on Compost and how to do.

Essentially,the mind was receptive and the spirit willing.

As an apartment dweller in Florence,Italy,I bought trees and
compost from the greenhouses.Where there is interest there
is a way.

Bonsai/Penjing was never meant to be - popular - nor the
fad to do.

It is essentially an intellectually appealing interest,when you
really get into it.Stirring strong emotions and great joy when
working with the hands.Requiring discipline and routine.
Any attempt at enticing the very young[of mind] through
schemes will probably fail.

Some will do it until the day they die.That's just the way it is.
So I agree with you.
Khaimraj
[ West Indies/Caribbean ]

* I really tire of well meaning folk who water down everything
so crowds will join in.Reminds me of the folk movement in the
Roman Catholic church in the 60/70's - a dismal failure.

Additionally,as we are taught in Pottery,that there are many ways to
skin a cat,and if someone is doing what may seem to be the
wrong thing/way and it's working.It's better to help them figure
out why and enhance it,than dissuade them.