Old 21-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Mary Elden

Default Q. ponytail palm lost it's top, bad shape

Hi,

I have one here in metro-phoenix. When it cools off like it is now I
don't water it at all. All it gets is the rain-a-natural.

When the temperature starts soaring again I water it weekly, and
fertilize with a balanced fertilizer. It grows in leaps and bounds.

This is a great plant. At first when I bought it, and had it in the
house several years ago, it did nothing much. Now outside, in the
last two years it has grown to two feet. It was maybe 4 inches when I
first purchased it.

Mary

Subject: Q. ponytail palm lost it's top, bad shape
From: "Cereoid-UR12-"

It may produce a new leaf rosette in the spring but if the caudex is getting
soft and mushy, you should throw it out.
____Reply Separator_____
Thanks for ANSWERING my question. I read my OP over and over and couldn't see
where I had asked:
Is a ponytail/elephant foot palm really a palm?
How should it be watered.
I'm glad I didn't ask a question about planting cucumbers in a vegetable
garden.