Old 21-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Janice

Default Quick Q regarding rabbits

I forgot one thing.. rabbits can't sweat, so they overheat quickly in
the summer, and being in something like the chicken tractor kind of
idea, they'd overheat if exposed to the sun beating down on them even
with a roof over the thing, it wouldn't get a lot of air circulation,
and the humidity on a lawn is usually high. You'd soon have dead
rabbits.

Particularly if you were raising angora rabbits.! They need air
conditioned housing in summer or they die. The only things they can
do is hope you have them in the shade, and in a dry hot climate you
could hang wet burlap bags over the overhang of the roof and the
evaporation helps, but you have to be there to keep them wet..or
you'll have dead rabbits to bury when you get home as they can only
pant so much heat away!

On 21 Jan 2004 04:23:43 GMT, Ignoramus1390
wrote:

In article , Frogleg wrote:
On 19 Jan 2004 00:14:10 GMT, Ignoramus3274
wrote:

I asked this question in misc.rural already, but want to run it by a
few more people. Can meat/fur rabbits survive if they are being fed a
diet that is mostly lawn clippings? I am upset that I waste so much
time and lawn grass due to all this mandatory lawn trimming, and am
thinking about having rabbits between months of May/October, or some
such, and feed them lawn trimmings. will it work?

"Survive" or thrive? *People* can survive on significantly inadequate
diets, 'though not grass clippings. There are plenty of references and
books on 'raising rabbits for fun and profit'. If "wasting time" on
lawn chores is a concern, you should be aware that rabbits take a fair
amount of labor to feed, house, and nurture.

I already own two chickens and they are doing great, even in -5F
weather, in an unheated shed.

Sad.

Why do you think that it is sad? These chickens are supposed to do
well in freezing cold weather. Think about it, each has a good
down/feather jacket on her.