Old 21-01-2004, 02:35 PM
J Fortuna

Default Orchid Whiz Kids

Reka, Thank you! I was the one who had originally asked about kids who are
into orchids, and I am so glad that there are some out there who are such
whizes. I wish I had gotten into this hobby earlier. Unfortunately none of
the youngsters I know around here are into orchids, though a four year old
at our church was actually quite intrigued when I told him that "ghost
orchids look like green spagetti when not in bloom."
Joanna

"Reka" wrote in message
Who was talking about kids getting into orchids? Here's a whole pack of
them in Michigan!

Orchid whiz kids -- Young Brothers Niemeier amaze those in the know with
their expertise
Tuesday, January 20, 2004

By Terri Finch Hamilton
The Grand Rapids Press

It's hard enough to figure out how to spell cattleya percivaliana, but

when
five boys are all chattering at once about it, it's nearly impossible.
Of course, they call it "cat," for short. You can do that, when you know
orchids as well as these guys do.
We're here at the home of the Niemeiers, where Jeffrey, 16; Nathan, 14;
Matthew, 12; Jordan, 10; and Micah, 8, are wild about orchids. They know
everything about them. It's sort of unnerving.
These boys grow 190 orchids in their Ada basement under ordinary

fluorescent
shop lights they installed themselves. They've coaxed every single one of
them to bloom at some point.
They toss off such names as rhizanthella gardneri and grammatophyllum
papuanum the way some kids say X-Box and Britney.

More at:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/in...1395882460.xml
--
Reka

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---