Old 21-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Nemo

Default Basic chemistry question

Thanks for all the info RedForeman
Thanks to all who replied.

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
baking soda is/can be added as a buffer, it raises your kH and buffers

your
pH enough to keep a stable pH for quite a while... I add 1 tbsp to every
10g, do your own math, and it gives a bump on pH and the buffer capacity

is
in the volume you add... the more you add, the more your kH raises, but

not
pH

for a planted tank, well, that varies IMHO.... I shoot for a pH of 6.6-7.6
on 3 different tanks the lower one has CO2, others don't

pH 6.6 and kH of 2-4 give you a range of 15-30ppm of CO2
pH 7.6 and kH of 2-4 give you a range of 1-3ppm CO2

Use this to find your CO2 levels and what is optimal for your tank and
water...
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

unless my 3 years of learning have lead me down the demented path, which
could happen...

--
RedForeman ©®

"Nemo" wrote in message
What water chemistry parameters would you ideally want in a planted

tank?
pH, kH and gH?

My kH is very low, about 3 dKh causing pH swings. I want to minimise

raising
the pH. What is the minimum kH needed to maintain a reasonably stable

pH?

Thanks