Old 21-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Julie Trigg

Default [IBC] Paliurus spina christi - Christ's thorn

in article 001501c3e02f$2bc32580$55112cc7@pavilion, Jim Lewis at
wrote on 1/21/04 10:01 AM:

I have found in the nature paliurus spina christi or Christ's

thorn,
dwarfish and natural bonsai.
I am asking for help, before extraction from nature, becouse

I don't
have any expirience with this plant. Any advice will be

appreciated.
Thanks!

Could this be the Jujube-Tree?

No. Jujube is Ziziphus jujuba. They are, also, however, members
of the Rhamnaceae. I have seen jujube bonsai. (+ -) If you have
Dirr's "Woody Landscape Plants" it is the last plant on the last
page of plant descriptions. Also last page of Botanica, ;-)
though Zygopetalum (an orchid) is the last plant there.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature

************************************************** ****************************
**
++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
**
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Thanks Jim,

I thought the Zisyphus spina Christi was the Jujube-tree. You can
occasionally find them at Home Depot and (egad) Wall Mart. I think they buy
them from Chestnut Hills Nursery.

Julie Trigg (formerly a 9 but not a 10!)