Old 22-01-2004, 02:35 AM
Gerry

Default Questions about Java Moss

Thanks all,

After the 1st post suggesting that it's a welcome plant, I badgered the
local Big Al's here in Mississauga, and they confessed to having some in one
of their tanks which they sold me for a nominal amount. It's something that
they say they always have in stock, but simply haven't had for the past
month. Apparently one of their employees grows it at home and hasn't
brought any in recently.

Following a comment at http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/pdubyana.html, I tied
a piece of the clump to some bark. The swordtails are obsessed with it!
Most of the rest is spread thinly across the substrate in one corner, and I
kept a bit in a separate growing tank (just in case the fish eat what I just
installed in their tank). The stuff really does go a long way.

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
"Gerry" gerry @ howlett.ca wrote in message
. ..
I have a 90 gallon that I got 2nd-hand complete with 3 gigantic java

ferns
and some amazon sword.

I've been reading that java moss looks pretty on logs, and I was

thinking
of
adding some. But many LFS (Toronto/Mississauga - Canada) don't stock

it,
and one even suggested that it's a pest and pernicious weed. Should I

be
rethinking my desire to introduce java moss?

Gerry

I originally got some from a PJ Pet Center at Yonge & Eglinton, but that

was
years ago. Have you tried calling all the PJs in the area and asking if
they have any?

Harry