Old 22-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Philip

Default Composting question

"Bob" wrote in message ...
To try to explain why I ham clearing the area!

I owned the house last summer so I saw the garden last year, a jungle and
not what I want. It was a good example of the wrong plants being planted in
the wrong place, it was originally planted about 25 years ago and all the

Bob

A fascinating read, thanks.

Do you have plans for what you want to achieve with your garden? It
sounds as if you will be able to create a few different distinct areas
within your garden.

You need to do the basics first like work out where the sun rises and
sets and winds blow from. What soil type you have Acid Alkali and if
is is light (sandy) or heavy(clayey). Get a feel for how good the
soil structure is and look around to see what other gardeners are
growing.

Then work up a design for each area that you plan to develop.

With all that space you can afford to keep stuff you may want later.
So I would be tempted to keep the trunks of the conifers. You mau
want to make some more informal types of raised beds or banking
somewhere in the garden.

And lastly, take photographs as you go.

Nice project

Phil