Old 22-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Al

Default Natural Hybrids Help Needed

PS. The book also says "In horticultural orchid literature the
multiplication sign in front of 'hybrid-generic names' is usually omitted in
both natural and artificial intergeneric hybrids." I suppose they are
pointing out by this that this would not be true in botanical literature.

"Ray" wrote in message
Thanks, Al.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Al" wrote in message
Straight out of "The Handbook on Orchid Nomenclature and Registration"

4th
edition 1993
Page 4 under The names of Natural Hybrids of Orchids
there are two examples cited:

"x Laeliocattleya leeana 'Picardy' is the cultivar name of a cultivar of

the
natural intergeneric hybrid between Cattleya loddigesii and Laelia

pumila"

"x Dactyglossum mixtum (Dactylorhiza fuchsii x Coeloglossum viride)"

I think, somewhere in this book is a paragraph explaining which name

takes
precedence, the artificial grex name or natural hybrid name, depending

on
when the plant in question was identified as a natural hybrid versus

when
it
was registered as an artificial hybrid, but I can't find it.

"Ray" wrote in message
I'm putting together a piece on how orchids are named, or should I say

the
way the names are written, and need some examples of natural hybrids,

both
inter-species and intergeneric.

I believe that Paph X wellesleyanum (concolor x godefroyae) is an
inter-specific example, but I can't think of any intergenerics.

Anyone know any good examples?