Old 22-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Natural Hybrids Help Needed

Ray wrote:

I'm putting together a piece on how orchids are named, or should I say the
way the names are written, and need some examples of natural hybrids, both
inter-species and intergeneric.

I believe that Paph X wellesleyanum (concolor x godefroyae) is an
inter-specific example, but I can't think of any intergenerics.

Anyone know any good examples?

I don't know if it is formally codified, but I have seen natural hybrids
written as (for example)

Paph. x Fanaticum (or x fanaticum)
Milt. x Bluntii (or x bluntii)
Catt. x Guatamalensis

etc (If you look, you will find some intergeneric laelia x catt natural
hybrids, like Lc xElegans.

However, the 'x' seems to be reserved for naturally occuring
populations, and if the cross is made on purpose, I've seen people
remove the 'x'. Or name it something else altogether, which doesn't
sound right.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit