Old 22-01-2004, 10:21 PM
Ivan McDonagh

Default Bees

len gardener wrote in
:

g'day perri,

if not having bees could be impacting on your gardens production then
maybe you could consider buying your own hive of aussie native bees,
they are stingless so are great where kids are concerned, and they are
good pollinators.

len

I have considered that getting native bees would be a great idea for me in
the future also.

Having far, far too many of the horrible european honey bees in my garden
at the moment is a bit of a concern though - I understand these loathsome
creatures are quite willing and able to destroy the native queen and take
over the hive. Unfortunately I can't recall exactly where I got this
information so its veracity is open to challenge.

So, the questions I have a

1) Is it possible/likely that the feral imports will take over ?

2) If so, are there any protective measures that can be taken to assist our
poor, under-appreciated, under-utilised and poorly armed native friends ?

TIA.

Ivan.