Old 22-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Colette A. O'Brien

Default Lemon Verbena

In message of Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Lazarus Cooke writes
I was told that my Lemon Verbena would not survive out of doors, and I
should keep it in a pot over winter.

But I've just read that in London (where I live) while the shoots may
be killed by the frost, it should grow back. I'm sure it would be
happier in garden soil.

Has anyone any experience?

My Lemon Verbena survived about 5 winters outside. It was in a fairly
sheltered bed, but we live on the top of the Mendip Hills in Somerset,
so cold and windy much of the time.

It did eventually die, but I reckon this was due to being smothered by a
nearby rosemary bush, not the winter cold.

It takes a long time to get going again in the Spring, many times I
thought it had died only to eventually find buds forming again. Lovely
plant, such a gorgeous scent, must get another one this year.
--
Rgds
Colette