Old 23-01-2004, 12:12 AM
len gardener

Default Bees

g'day ivan,

not saying it couldn't happen but it never posed as a problem with me
when i was in the 'burbs and still doesn't pose a problem out here in
rural where i have had bee keepers put their hives on my land so their
bees could make honey.

if it looked like happening i would simply make the entrance hole to
the native bee hive smaller as the native bees are wee tiny things
comared to the honey bee giant, my bees generally have the best part
of their entrance blocked off anyway, dunno why they just do it.

i would say delay no longer get yourself a hive, and start enjoying
our little friends and if/when you move they are very easy to
transport. if you wish to learn more about them there is a couple
native bee sites online i have a link to the qld bee keeper who
exports them to japan. he is very knowledgeable feel free to ask all
the questions and he will answer them.

generally it is not best to have 2 hives too close together 500mtr
seperation or lots of trees between is the answer, they will fight
each other from seperate hives. but for us they are very docile never
have a i seen them riled up. i also have wild native hives around but
there has been no problems regarding mine conflicting.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening