Old 23-01-2004, 02:02 PM
animaux

Default growth retardant

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 23:14:32 -0600, "B & J" bjskeff@removecox-internetcom
opined:

As an added thought, petunias are extremely easy to start from tip cuttings.
When the old plant begins looking ratty, I take cuttings and throw away the
old plant when the cuttings root.

John

You would have the same results if you just cut the petunia back. I did
something this year I never did before. The reason was wanting to see how this
new variety of petunia would do in a greenhouse setting over winter. They are
"Wave" petunias, but their millionbells type and white with dark vein throats.
Well, they are looking better than anything. I cut them back, almost to the nub
and they are setting up buds now.

I am also trying this with tomatoes. All winter I've been eating 'Roma,'
'Brandywine,' and 'Sweet Million.' I have cut the plants way back and I will
plant them after danger of frost has passed. I will be interested to see what
happens. They are all putting up beautiful new growth.

Victoria-off on a tangent, but it's early and my mind is wandering.