Old 23-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default What factors determine when a camellia blooms?

"Marc" wrote in message
What factors determine when a camellia blooms?

I have two camellias in my yard. One consistently blooms about 2-4weeks
after the other but when they bloom varies wildly from year to year. My
neighbor has one that always blooms 2-4 weeks before either of mine. They
have started blooming as early as late November. They have almost always
started blooming before Christmas. But this year they have not started
blooming yet and it is almost February. All three are similar in size and
all are on the north side of our houses and close to the wall.

As far as I can tell conditions are very consistent. It has not been very
cold this year. Rainfall has been good. There seem to be a large number

of
healthy buds so I assume it isn't a nutrition issue.

Bloom time is dependent on a combination of factors - where you are located,
the type of camellias in question and summer growing conditions and winter
cold. If you can provide more information, we can be more specific in our

pam - gardengal