Old 23-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Pat Brennan

Default Roller Drums for tissue culture; a question of rotation speed

Al you must still have a real job. Shakers can be had from eBay for $50 -
$150. Currently there is a brand new one with 4 days to go at $61. If you
have the time I expect you could find them at a state auction at 4 for $12.

Pat

"Al" wrote in message
An orbital sander. :-) I wonder how fast this sander would spin. I

would
need control of the speed but it is a clever idea.

The cost (new) of the very cheapest shaker base (about 8.5 x 11) from New
Brunswick is $1,185. It comes with an electrical plug to make the motor

go.
Without the plug it is probably substantially less expensive but they

don't
list a model without a plug. If you want bells and timers and speed
controls and digital readouts then the next largest model costs $1,515.

It
also has a plug. Neither of these models comes with a 'platform'; these

are
considered accessories. Their platform accessories vary in price but the
one I would choose because it can hold a test tube rack costs $455. It is

13 x 11 inch cookie sheet with screws and clamps. In fact, after I caught
my breath again from loosing it at the price of the *accessory* I thought
"well, I can build a cookie sheet with screws and Velcro. Now I just need
something to make it move by itself."

An orbital sander... hummm. I wonder what is inside that shaker base box
that could possibly be worth $1,185. Could it be the warrantee?

wrote in message
You can make one. You just need an electric motor and a camshaft.
Come to think of it, a random orbit sander could be adapted to make a
shaker table pretty easily. Just turn it upside down, screw a platform
on it, and use the trigger lock to keep it turned on. I wonder how long
the motor would last... That might be my best idea this week, and I
have had a couple good ones, not that I ever remember to write them down
(good idea number 4 - write down good ideas).

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit