Old 23-01-2004, 07:02 PM
simy1

Default Dried Beans - ultra labor intensive?

(Chris) wrote in message . com...
It seems to me that dried beans (kidney, cow, turtle and the like) are
super labor intensive. I mean, waiting for the pod to dry, the
picking the shells and finally reaping the beans. It seems like it
would take an hour for a simple pound of beans.

We only go to a Upick farm for peas once a year, the whole family. We
usually pick a bushel an hour, or two bushels total. Then it takes
forever to shell them, yes, but the kids like it and is something you
can do while watching TV. Frozen in plastic bags, they are still very
good one year later.

Is there a simpler way - other than spending the $1.15/lb it costs at
the health food store for organic beans?

And couldn't the space be used for something more productive, anyway?
Does anyone have insight/thoughts on this?

There are many veggies that produce more edible stuff per square foot,
and it is something of interest to most of us. Beans would be near the
bottom of my list.
For productivity, I like garlic (which can be interplanted), tomatoes,
lettuce, and a variety of greens, including chard, radicchio and
arugula. Zucchini can be too productive, if you know what I mean.