Old 23-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] brown edges on azalea flowers.....why?

Marty: It's not that water cannot touch the blooms, but they should not
stay wet. Good air circulation is the key to keeping the blooms dry.
Another reason to design your bonsai with "spaces for the birds to fly
through." That, and not crowding your benches with too many trees, etc.

Alan Walker
From: "Nina Shishkoff"
As a plant pathologist, I'd opt for your second guess. If you had a
lot
of rain and your tree is in a spot where it doesn't get good air
circulation, it is susceptible to Botrytis flower blight. Botrytis is
ubiquitous, so the only way to avoid it is to change environmental
conditions (you can use fungicides, but they don't give good coverage on
quickly-opening parts like buds and flowers.
Nina Shishkoff