Old 23-01-2004, 09:02 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default adding new Koi

Hi bk, I'm a certified KHA (Koi Health Advisor) thru the AKCA www.akca.org
just to give you some back ground on where my advice is coming from.

Sorry about your "slap in the face" submersion to koi keeping. This is the
article you should read regarding the why's and how's to quarantining:
http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...t%20 Articles

That said, what to do now?

The koi that died may have died from shock. Since you didn't know to
quarantine, you probably didn't know that sudden changes in pH &
temperature could kill a fish. Or that taking a bagged fish, and letting
the bag sit in the pond, to adjust to the temp, isn't good enough, perhaps
you added pond water to the bag? This can be deadly if the fish was bagged
for longer than 30-60 minutes. So if the fish was weak to begin with.....
As far as the flashing fish, it could be flashing due to the different
water, though I bet it does have something on it.

Regarding salt, Morton's 99.9% water softener salt is fine. This is to be
added slowly, and not to your filter, or skimmer where it feeds direct into
the filter. The killing ratio with salt is measured in % not pounds,
usually, but not always, 0.3% will kill most things, but 0.1% will
sometimes help the fish fight off the problem on it's own. The measurement
is 13oz salt to every 100 gallons of water. Do you know exactly how many
gallons you have? This is important when dealing with medications. Most
people, me included, have over estimated their gallons using the DXWXLX7.48
= gallons method. Click2Roark.com has a calculator to help one figure out
gallons by using salt. So this might be a good time to check for sure.

If you decide to use salt divide the maximum amount up by 3 to 5 and add
over that many days. Otherwise you'll affect your filter and have water
quality problems besides fish health problems, and water quality is far
more important than a few parasites on a fish. That's not to say what you
did was okay, as there are worst things out there than parasites. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:09:34 GMT, "bk" wrote:

How large of a quarentine setup is required?
I've gone a limited yard. I couldn't do more thatn say a 20 gallon platic
tub or tank.
I assume water for quarantine should be from the pond?