Old 23-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Marc

Default What factors determine when a camellia blooms?

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"Marc" wrote in message
What factors determine when a camellia blooms?

I have two camellias in my yard. One consistently blooms about 2-4weeks
after the other but when they bloom varies wildly from year to year. My
neighbor has one that always blooms 2-4 weeks before either of mine.

They
have started blooming as early as late November. They have almost

always
started blooming before Christmas. But this year they have not started
blooming yet and it is almost February. All three are similar in size

and
all are on the north side of our houses and close to the wall.

As far as I can tell conditions are very consistent. It has not been

very
cold this year. Rainfall has been good. There seem to be a large

number
of
healthy buds so I assume it isn't a nutrition issue.

Bloom time is dependent on a combination of factors - where you are

located,
the type of camellias in question and summer growing conditions and winter
cold. If you can provide more information, we can be more specific in our

I am interested in understanding the variation more than predicting the time
blooms begin.
I live in Vallejo CA at the North end of San Francisco Bay.
But since the location remains constant it is probably not related to the
large variations in bloom time from year to year.
We seldom have severe frost and the camellias which are somewhat sheltered
have never shown any sign of frost damage.
Summers and winters are moderate but both are a bit warmer in recent years.
The last several years we have had a few (5-10) unusually (104+) hot days
each summer. The Camellias have shown scorched leaves at these times
despite heavy watering.
I try to keep the soil damp and maintain thick mulch of pine needles. But
this too is fairly consistent from year to year.
I fertilize with whatever Camellia/Azalea Fertilizer is on sale. I am not
real consistent about feeding as often as recommended. But it is probably
about the same each year. As I said, the blooms are plentiful and healthy
so I suspect nutrition is good.
Soil is heavy clay, adobe.
The most significant change that I can think of in the last few years has
been to plant some Hydrangeas under the Camellias.

--
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." Samuel Johnson

Marc