Old 24-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Help! Hurt bird of paradise!

Yeah, if I had a friend that was that clumsy, I would demand the klutz pay
for the damages and the dude forever be in debt to make up for what he did.
I would have taken the jerk's wallet out of his pocket and taken all his
cash as a down payment for the irreparable damage done. Was the dimwit drunk
when he fell on the plant or is he just a complete idiot? I might even have
beaten the crap out of him too (just as a down payment reminder)!!

zhanataya wrote in message
news
On 23 Jan 2004 01:00:41 -0800, (Phil) wrote:

I have owned a bird of paradise for about two years. It is about five
feet tall and has about half a dozen large leaves, with another half
dozen small leaves near the bottom. Since I got the plant, I've taken
good care of it and it appears healthy, sprouting up a new leaf about
every 4 months.

My problem is that a friend was here, a clutzy friend, and he fell on
my bird of paradise. FELL ON THE DARN THING. So he bent almost all
of the stalks; they snapped like twigs. I couldn't believe it. All
of my big beautiful bird of paradise leaves, now sagging and resting
on the floor. Even though the inside supporting material snapped, the
outer "skin" remains intact. I quickly hijacked some poles from my
rubber tree and carefully used them to prop up my bird of paradise's
damaged stalks...hoping they will restore like broken bones.

My question is, will the plant ever heal? If so, how long would it
take? If not, what should I do? I'm considering just pruning off the
bent stalks, but that would be like starting over with it. Even
though I haven't had it very long, I'd like to keep it instead of
having to buy a new one.

thanks for any advice,

phil (phrom san phrancisco)

p.s. my rubber plant, newly liberated from its poles, is quite
enjoying its freedom.

Cut off the bent stalks as close to soil level as you can to keep the
over all look of the plant remains healthy. They won't heal. Yes it
will be like starting all over, but in the two years you've had it the
root mass has grown so it won't take two years for it to be as lovely
as it was. As soon as the days get longer and warmer it will start
pushing out a bunch of new growth. Probably by fall weather you will
be pleased with its recovery.

zhan